Ebb Carbon is a climate and ocean-health restoration company. Our mission is to remove gigatons of CO2 from the air, while reducing ocean acidification to restore a healthier planet for generations to come. We remove carbon dioxide from the air by accelerating the ocean’s natural ability to capture and durably store carbon dioxide. Our electrochemical approach reduces ocean acidity and has the potential to be one of the largest scale and lowest cost approaches to removing excess CO2.
About the role:
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the team that develops strategies for our hydrochloric acid product, which is produced when an Ebb system removes acid from the ocean. This role will have both Individual Contributor and Managerial components. Your major responsibilities will be:
- Work with Ebb’s Design teams to design process equipment to handle the acid and associated process materials at specific sites
- Manage a team of chemists and chemical engineers to develop project-specific solutions for our acid
- Co-develop R&D roadmap with Product Management and execute on the roadmap to develop new acid uses and markets.
This is an important role leading a team critical to Ebb’s success. The ideal candidate will have experience both with driving ambitious project plans and managing R&D and be successful at both the Individual Contributor and Managerial levels.
What you’ll do:
- Lead a team of chemists and chemical engineers to develop, test and execute solutions, from benchtop to commercial-scale, to handle the acid that the Ebb system produces at each site
- Work with Ebb’s Design teams to design and procure process equipment to handle large scale volumes of acid and associated process materials at specific sites
- Co-develop R&D roadmap with Product Management and execute the roadmap. Serve as technical lead in assessing and pitching R&D partnership opportunities to external partners
- Create and/or review experimental and project plans for testing and deployment
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to your team on testing, process design and supplier selection
- Set and manage goals, schedule, budget, and resource allocations for the overall team and specific projects. Assess, advocate for and hire/purchase additional resources needed.
- Create statement of work contracts and manage work of third-party contractors and partners if needed
- Prepare and present updates to Ebb leadership team, as needed, in conjunction with Product Management
What you’ll need:
- BS, MS, or PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mineral Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Environmental Engineering or related field
- 8+ years of work experience (or combined equivalent education and work experience) in mining, petroleum, industrial wastewater treatment, design of low carbon intensity treatment processes and resource recovery or other relevant industries
- Experience developing new chemical products and processes from R&D to commercialization
- Experience designing material handling systems to convey and treat large quantities of feedstock and chemicals
- Experience developing outsourcing vs in-housing strategies and partnerships with industry and academic partners
- Proven track record of engineering project management, with an emphasis on speed and creative solutions
- Startup experience ideal, startup mentality a must: someone who is scrappy and gets things done
- A sense of humor
- PE license in Civil, Chemical, Petroleum, or Industrial Engineering
- Experience with environmental regulations and permits for waste handling and disposal
- Experience in the hydrochloric acid, carbon dioxide removal, carbon capture or mining industries
- Experience turning waste streams into value-added products